Wednesday, April 11, 2012

What Makes A Good Race?

Recently, a friend and I got to talking about what exactly makes a good race.  Is it side-by-side action?  Is it a last lap pass?  Is it a pit area full of cars?  Or is it simply hanging out with all your racing buddies?


I'll preface by telling you that I don't necessarily have an answer.  Heck, I'm not even sure I know the answer.  To be honest, it's probably a combination of those things, at least for me.
There's no denying that good side-by-side racing makes for a great show. I don't think anybody will argue that.  And I'm the kind of person that doesn't care if a track is black and slick or hammer down and balls-to-the wall...if they're running nip-and-tuck and swapping positions, that's a great race regardless of the track surface.


Aside from the obvious door-to-door racing, a last lap pass can make even the most boring race seem at least somewhat entertaining.  I've been to countless shows where the action itself was less than spectacular, but a last lap pass sent me home with a smile.


As for car counts, I'll be the first to admit that the quality (not the quantity) makes for a more interesting evening, but I also enjoy seeing four heat races as opposed to two.  Say what you want, but high car counts help add a little something to any race program.


And then there's the nights where you just get to hang out with your friends.  The racing might be terrible, but you've had a good time simply because of the people you're with.  We've all "been there, done there" and, ironically, that will be mentioned in tomorrow's "Top 10 Craziest Things... #6" when I highlight an absolutely awful show I went to in Scottsburg, Indiana back in 2004.


Wrapping this up, we're all different and what makes the night for one person may not be what tickles someone else's fancy.  For me, it's several different things that make for an entertaining evening, like great racing, lots of cars, and the people you're with.


What about you?  In your opinion, what makes for a great race?

3 comments:

  1. Not saying this is the only thing that makes a great race, but I love it when the leaders catch up to the lapped cars. Watching their strategy, and seeing 'the pack' catch up and make the race close is always fun. Plus, I always like to think about what is going through the leader's head when he catches up to those to-be-lapped cars.

    I definitely agree that company makes any race great too, whether its my friends, or just my son, the company does make it great.

    Great Blog DJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it when a guy you know is fast starts towards the tail, a lot of times I find myself not even paying attention to the leaders but focused on that guy working his way through the field. I'm sure it would have been fun to watch Eddie start 18th and win.

    ReplyDelete