Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Besides Dirt Late Models...

I'm guessing most of the people who read this blog are fairly hardcore Dirt Late Model fans, with a few others sprinkled in here and there.  But the question is, what other classes besides Dirt Late Models are your favorites to watch?
As for me, I love taking in a Big Block Modified show whenever possible.  I wish there were more shows close to me but, understandably, there are virtually no Big Block Mods in this area and, getting those guys to travel can be extremely difficult. However, on Tuesday August 7th, the Super DIRTcar Big Block Modified Series will be invading Ionia, Michigan's I-96 Speedway, so that may be a date to mark on your calendar if you're like me and enjoy watching those cats race.

Locally, the NRA Sprint Invaders (360 Sprints) seem to put on an absolutely outstanding show practically every time I see them, especially at Eldora.  As for the 410 Sprints, I'm usually hit-or-miss with the winged-wonders, but I've found Attica's weekly show to have some of the most talented drivers and best side-by-side racing for the 410s of anybody around.

Open Wheel Modifieds just continue to gain in popularity (we had 44 for a regular show Saturday night at Eldora) and have a nice mix of young up-and-coming as well as some old veterans and former Late Model pilots.  I'll take a good UMP Modified show any day of the week.

I guess, in summary, Dirt Late Models are where my heart lies, but I'm simply a RACE fan.  If it's on dirt, I'll typically watch it.

However, I'm curious to hear from some of you as to what your favorite "other" classes are.  What do you enjoy watching besides our beloved Late Models...??

6 comments:

  1. I work for the Must See Racing series, but I saw a great USAC race at Eldora Saturday night.

    I definitely agree with you in all respects regarding the big block mods, they are really something to see. The closest I've been is the mods at Sharon last summer during the Lou Blaney race.

    The thing I like about dirt late models is the level of competition doesn't seem to rise and fall with track conditions. Those guys make it work and go right by the ones that can't.

    By the way, nice job at Eldora Saturday. Only question: Who gets the 'god of fire' button? That'd be a pretty trick fan prize to let someone push the button once or twice. Season ticket holders? Or 50/50 winner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will take a good hornet race if there is side by side racing. Some of the best races at weekly shows over the years have been from them and other "support" classes. Here locally, Late Models, Modifieds, Sportsman, Street Stocks, and Hornets are the most common classes. However, like you, I love racing. Some of my favorites besides the stock cars are the open wheel guys. POWRi/USAC/Badger/(insert other series here) Midgets, USAC/MSCS/KISS/(insert other series here non-winged sprints, World of Outlaws/Midwest Open Wheel Association/All Star Circuit of Champions 410 winged sprints, etc. Seen the 360's put on a good show a time or 2 when they are around. Haven't gotten to the big block modifieds...yet. If it can put on a show, odds are I will go watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care what division / class it is as long as they have a decent car count and can put on a good show. I've always loved the Dirt Late Models, Modifieds, & Sprints; but street stocks, sportsman, & even 4 Cylinders can put on a great show. To me if your a true race fan you like it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stockcars not because we race in them, I think they put on the best show alot of time ,there is 3 or 4 cars that are nose to tail racing for the win and every one in these lower classes have full time jobs so it takeaway alot of free time away from familys

    ReplyDelete
  5. IMCA Stock Cars and IMCA/UMP Modifieds.

    IMCA Stock Cars are unbelievable to watch and they have a lot of great drivers. They have plenty of power and always seem to be very evenly matched. We have around 20 weekly at Redwood Speedway in Redwood Falls, MN and they have more fans than the Sprint Cars and Modifieds.

    IMCA/UMP Modifieds - Self explanatory, they're badass..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Late Models and Modifieds! But I have recently begun to love the non wing sprints. Got my first dose at KC Raceway in 2010 when the USAC show was rained out. I was the photographer then, but boy ol' boy did I enjoy hot laps. The next year the BOSS series came to KC and I was super pumped. Loved watching those bad boys sling it in the corner at over 100mph.

    ReplyDelete