Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Best Race Track Sandwiches

It's a somewhat comical debate that comes up every now and then.  It usually starts after a trip to the concession stand...one person comments on how good the chicken sandwich is.  Or, sometimes, the opposite...you take a bite of that cheeseburger and automatically know it's a leftover from the previous week.

Either way, there's just some race track sandwiches that stand out more than others. Today, I want to give you the top three race track sandwiches I've had the pleasure of devouring over the years.
#3 - Union County Speedway (Liberty, IN) TENDERLOIN - Quite possibly the biggest sandwich I have ever had, the UCS tenderloin is about the size of a small pizza and deep fried, making it a true artery-clogger, but damn good when it goes down.  As a matter of fact, I once had a UCS tenderloin so big, it was served to me on two buns, and that's no lie.

#2 - Outlaw Motor Speedway (Oktaha, OK) BBQ BEEF - Race track barbeque tastes the same at just about every track I've ever been to.  Despite being a little outside the U.S. barbeque capital, Outlaw is the exception to the rule.  With its smokey flavor and not-too-ferocious after-kick, Outlaw's BBQ is made with it's own special barbeque recipe (or so we were told at the concession stand).  I bought one upon my arrival to the track (last May) and it was good enough I visited the dining hall for a second sammie during intermission.

Honorable Mention - Tyler County Speedway (Middlebourne, WV) FISH SANDWICH - Had I made this list about 10 years ago, the fish sandwich at Tyler County would have been a solid contender for #1.  However, in recent years, the fish sammie (which comes straight from Coleman's Fish Market in Wheeling, WV) has gone up in price and down in size.  Nevertheless, it's still worthy of trying if you're visiting "The Bullring" and the sandwich remains one of my personal favorites.

#1 - Duck River Speedway (Wheel, TN) COUNTRY HAM - Maybe I caught them on a good night.  Or maybe it's just that good every night.  Regardless, in my maiden voyage to Duck River with the Lucas Oil Series back in June of 2007, the country ham sandwich I sunk my teeth into was like a taking a bite of heaven. It was sweet...it was juicy...it was perfect.  I had not one, not two, but THREE country ham sandwiches on that night.  The taste was more like something you'd expect at your grandmother's Easter dinner, and not at some remotely located dirt track.  Honestly, I've considered going back to Duck River just get my hands on another one of those sandwiches.  

There you have it.  DJ's top three race track sandwiches.  Now, I'm interested in hearing what's tickled your taste buds' fancy...

9 comments:

  1. The Big "O" Burger at Oakshade Raceway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever tried the fried bologna sandwich at the Wythe Raceway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cleveland Speedway fried balogna sandwich

    ReplyDelete
  4. Without a doubt...the Tri-tip sandwich at Calistoga Speedway (Calistoga, CA). I have sampled food at 200+ tracks and it's a no brainer for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Attica raceway parks shredded beef sandwich

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything that Screven has. Lol. It's a restaurant, a buffet... and Mama & Grandma would be proud! Anyone that hand makes their burgers and doesn't do the frozen pattie stuff.. is alright in my book! - Ali

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe a tip of the hat for a Bologna Burgher from Virginia Motor Speedway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FARMER BROWN at ELDORA SPEEDWAY.....UNBELIEVABLE

    ReplyDelete
  9. when Mark Hotovy had Hartford speedway, they had the best pulled pork sandwhiches around. Worth the drive even on a rainout :)

    ReplyDelete