Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Closed Tracks

For whatever reason, I've always had a fascination with closed race tracks.  There's just something about the mystique that draws me in I guess you could say.  Whether I'm reading about it in Allan Brown's History of America's Speedways or whether I'm trying to find an old track on Google maps, the entire mystery surrounding the track simply grabs my attention.


It's hard to say when or how exactly this happened.  Perhaps it's because several of the tracks I grew up attending, such as R&R Speedway (Zanesville, OH), would later close, leaving behind the thoughts of "what could have been".
For other tracks, it's the fact that I read so much about them as a kid but never got to see a race there...places like McCutchenville Speedway (pictured above in 2008) in McCutchenville, OH or Silver Spring Speedway in Mechanicsburg, PA or even Crown Point Speedway in Crown Point, IN.  The fact that racing actually took place on that particular piece of property is almost eerie.


It's also fun.  If you've ever visited the site of a closed track, it's pretty cool to stand there for a minute and imagine what it was like to sit there and watch races at that track.  You can practically hear the announcer blaring over the PA system, smell the concession stand food cooking behind you, and visualize the old cars broadsliding through the turns.


Over the years, I've found that I'm not alone in this closed track fascination.  As a matter of fact, almost all race fans seem to share the same passion for investigating dormant facilities and the stories that go with them.  Why is that?  What are we so infatuated with this phenomenon?


Of course, with every closed race track there's a hundred stories to go along with it. The stories always range from how great the racing was to what led to the closure of the track to the rumors about the track reopening.


And no matter which closed track it is, the racing always seems to "get better" as time goes on.  Much like a person's passing, a track's legacy also grows after it closes.


Maybe that is what's so fascinating about it.  Or maybe we all just love to relive the days gone by.

9 comments:

  1. We need to go track hunting again DJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped at the site where Manzanita once stood a few weeks ago and felt myself becoming ill. Some of the best tracks on the west coast that closed even as far back as the early 90's (Ascot, Baylands) still sit on undeveloped land. it's just sickening at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wiss Manzanita.. I got to announce out there the year I was i phoenix... Green Chili Buritos were amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same problem. I lived right down the road from Bryan Motor Speedway and it's on the way to town..... My brother and I raced a go kart there back in 97. Dad won a bunch of races and a championship there. He was in tears several times. The stories are endless from everywhere especially the local parts stores and what not. Have videos of it but don't remember much from the days dad ran there, I was pretty young

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see those old Bryan videos. I went there a lot in the mid-to late 70's as a kid.

      Delete
    2. I had permission from a guy that lives right in front of it to go back there a few years ago. I think he was a grandfather or something of the family. Never made it back there but I'm sure I could still go. Maybe this summer after it dries up because it's pretty bad back there. He was telling me if they could the son was going to fill it with water and float around all day so it would never be anything again.

      Delete
  5. Wow...this blog entry really hits home for me. I hate to see any race track close, but especially if it has been a huge part of your life, it makes it that much harder, after the fact there is such a sadness and an empty feeling...its so hard to get over that. But you just have to think of all the good times and I hope that one day the track that I worked at will be up and running again and be a great place to race at like it always was. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to DJ on track hunting! Been there with him, done that! When we was with the Original BoB Series we had the chance to visit the BSFR in Tn. He actually jumped the chain link fence to go inside and take pics and look around! It was very interesting and I wish I could of got over that fence! But the best parts was trying to find the place and the 2 little ladies sitting out next to the road and trying to give us directions that was actually right down the road from where we were! Also Big Tim Sharp's look when we told him we had a RGFT at The BSFR! Pricless! Mike Roland

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to race on the track at Cutch in 1975 and the 76 season. It was the best time of my life. I can't believe how the track looks now. I drive by there every now and then just for the memories.

    ReplyDelete