Thursday, March 29, 2012

PREVIEW: Attica Opener

Not too many years ago, I wasn't a fan of Attica Raceway Park in Attica, OH.  It may have been because they only ran a Limited Late Model division with their two classes of Sprints.  Or maybe it was because I seemed to have trouble obtaining media credentials every time I went there.  


Or perhaps I just never really gave them a fair chance because of those things.


Anyway you look at it, I'm a fan now.  A big fan.  As a matter of fact, I went to Attica nine times last year.  Nine!  To put that in perspective, in one single season, I have NEVER gone to a track I didn't work for more than five times. Never.


That is...until Attica last season.


There's a few different reasons I try not to attend too many races at one single track in a season.  One of the biggest of which is the fact that I don't want to "overstay my welcome".  Because I'm fortunate enough to obtain media credentials at almost all the events I go to, part of me feels like I shouldn't "overuse" that pass.  Although I always try my best to give the tracks (and their drivers) as much exposure as possible, it's hard to not feel a little, um, "shy" about being at one track so often.  And I think if you ask any member of the media, they are likely to say the same thing.


With that in mind, I didn't realize until just a few minutes ago that I attended nine shows at Attica last year.  I was guessing the number was more like five or six.  While I do keep track of all the races I go to, I don't keep a running tally.


There's several reasons that number was so high last year.  Being an hour from home, it's an easy Friday night target.  In addition, they run a tight ship and get fans out at a decent hour.  I'm almost positive I didn't leave the track later than 11:00pm in those nine visits last season.  That's impressive.


Then there's Director of Operations Rex LeJeune.  Rex and I became friends about four years ago...around the same time Attica made the decision to go with a full-blown Late Model division and get it sanctioned by UMP.  Rex has welcomed me to Attica with open arms and has become one of my favorite people to work with.  He cares a great deal about the track, the fans, and the drivers and that passion shows.  Since Rex and I have become friends, the aforementioned credentials problems have been non existent.


The other reason Attica has quickly risen to the top group of my "favorite tracks" list is simple. The racing is absolutely outstanding.  Side-by-side is the norm at Attica and, with a pill draw format (and redraws for the feature), you're almost assured to see a good race.  Last year, they averaged 29 Late Models per race, and the winner's average starting spot was 7.25.  In addition, they only had two Late Model feature winners start on the front row.  TWO!  Very few tracks can lay claim to an accomplishment as great as that.
Jon Henry led the way with eight A-Main wins at Attica in 2011.  The "Steel Driver's" most impressive accomplishment was his June 3rd victory, where he rallied from his 16th starting position to grab the win over 17th-starting Jeff Babcock.  Despite being held winless in 2011, Ryan Missler is the three-time and defending Late Model Track Champion at the 1/3-mile fairgrounds oval.


Attica is one of just a handful of tracks to feature both Super Late Models AND 410 Sprints.  The racing is solid and the program is typically run off without a hitch. Announcer Brian Liskai is sharp in rattling off drivers, hometowns, and sponsors.  The people are friendly and the atmosphere is strong.  If these are the things you like in a race track, you need make it a point to get to Attica's season opener this weekend.


Racing is slated to begin at 7:45pm Friday evening.  If Mother Nature spoils the party Friday night, they'll use their early-season Saturday raindate with racing starting a tad earlier at 7:00pm.


A few drivers who like to pop in and visit Attica occasionally won't be at the opener. George Lee will be out of town while Garrett Krummert, Doug Drown, and Rocky Owens aren't ready yet.  Alan Vochaska is putting a new motor in his car, and Brian Ruhlman is just getting his Late Model finished.


But if Attica does indeed get to race Friday night, look for Henry and Missler to be joined by Russ King, Ryan Markham, and Justin Chance among others to contend for the Late Model win.  


Nevertheless, Attica's season opener will not disappoint.  To say I'm excited for their season to start would be an understatement.  I can't wait.


1 comment: