Monday, March 12, 2012

Who's Racing Where?

Yesterday, I read over the Brownstown (IN) Speedway results from Saturday night's season opener.  As someone who didn't follow the forums and Facebook pages to get an idea as to who was going to be there, I was pleasantly surprised at the regional diversity in the 22 Late Models in attendance.
In a way, it took me back to my childhood.  Long before we had a Facebook, Twitter, and a bazillion racing forums, I would sit in the stands on opening night at Tyler County (WV) Speedway and watch the haulers come in the long driveway behind me, often impressed by the strong contingent of Late Models on hand for the first race of the year.


Undoubtedly, there would be a few surprises...maybe Mike Balzano or Steve Shaver would stop in - not just on opening night, but on ANY night - and try to win one against a tough group of locals.  Or maybe not.  Maybe it would just be a solid showing of talent from outside the local area...drivers towing in from Elkins, WV or Zanesville, OH or ever the Pittsburgh, PA region.


I miss that.  I miss the element of surprise...the suspense of not knowing who could show up at a track on any given night.  I mean, it still happens occasionally.  I think we all know that.  It's just that some of the "fun" has been taken out of it with driver schedules and, even more so with everybody and their brother starting up a list for "who's going to race at what track on which night".  


Don't get me wrong.  I'm as thankful as anyone for the luxury of all those racing forums.  And God knows I use Facebook and Twitter as much as the next person.  I just miss the suspense of pulling into track and being surprised as to who might show up on any given night.

3 comments:

  1. While I miss those wonderful unexpected surprises, the prices in today's economy dictate the fact that I want to make sure I am getting the biggest bang for my buck. If I am going to take the time and money to go to a race (between the entrance fees and travel for a family of 4)I want to know that I am going to have a good field of cars and see those drives I truly love to watch race. The message boards, chat, forums, etc. allow me to make decisions and limit the disappointment. The world of racing is a different beast than in the old days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am like you DJ. And to this day I try not to see who all will be a a certain race that I am going to, unless I am working at that race. When I worked at Florence we just never knew who would pull in on any regular show just to get some practice or because they got rained out where they was at. Back then the only way we knew was by a phone call asking if we was still running and they told us who they were! LOL ! Great write! Mike Roland

    ReplyDelete