Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Random Thoughts...

Every so often, as needed, I'll post my random thoughts.  These thoughts will be short ramblings covering a wide variety of topics in racing.  As always, the opportunity for discussion is available at the end of the post.   -DJ-

  • While I'm a little surprised a decision was made this early in the season, Brandon Sheppard in the Rocket house car is a good, solid choice.  He's young, he's talented, and he's only going to get better.  As is always the case when a quality ride opens up, I think anyone could make an argument for several other drivers to get the seat.  However, the fact is, nobody can say that Sheppard hasn't proved himself or isn't deserving of the opportunity. 
  • Why are there virtually no Friday night Late Model tracks in the south?  If you look at Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois, etc. there's a plethora of Friday night options.  But if you live in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, or Tennessee, you're pretty much racing just one night a week.  That bugs me.  Can any of my friends in those areas help me out?
  • Kudos are in order for McCown's Jackson County Speedway just outside of Jackson, Ohio.  They continue to raise their profile by adding more races and upping their purses.  I hope their efforts to increase car and fan counts don't go unnoticed by the fans and drivers.

3 comments:

  1. So true about Friday night tracks in Ohio and Pennsylvania - a fan has a wide choice. Years ago such was the case for Sunday evening racing also - Sharon, Tri-City, Toledo, Cloverleaf, Midvale in the '90s, and many more. Now regular Sunday racing is almost non-existant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fans and racers are pretty much broke (mechanically and financial) come Sunday now days.

      Delete
  2. 6-10 years ago I had two choices on going to a Friday night track in southern Ohio,Skyline or Midway,Skyline was the closest at 70 miles. I was working a lot of hours back then so I did not go to a lot of Friday shows. Now I have Skyline,Jackson County,Southern Ohio,and Moler. And I've lost one of my favorite Saturday night tracks only 13 miles from the house,KC/Atomic. And now only two close Saturday tracks with Portsmouth or Brushcreek. I've been to more Friday shows this year than Saturday and it may continue that way all year.

    ReplyDelete