Friday, May 24, 2013

PACIFIC NORTHWEST TRIP: Playing the Rain Game

Willamette Speedway in Lebanon, Oregon.  (Track photo)

As I sit here in the Denver International Airport and wait on my connecting flight to Portland, I can't help but ponder "what if".  What if Saturday's show at Willamette gets rained out?  What if Sunday's show at Grays Harbor falls victim to Mother Nature?  What happens?  What do I do?  

Sure, I could go see a race at one of a few different tracks, but my goal is to see racing at four different tracks in four different states while I'm out here.  If Sunday's show at Grays Harbors gets cancelled, my odds at seeing a race in Washington are all but shot.

My flight into Portland won't arrive until 10:30pm tonight (that's 1:30am eastern time).  I pick up my rental car tomorrow morning at 9am.  Whatever decision is made will have to be made quickly, but also keeping in mind the ultimate goal of four races at four tracks in four states.

Willamette Speedway in Lebanon, OR is at the top of the priority list.  Luckily, they race Saturday and Sunday both.  Grays Harbor also runs both days, so the opportunity to flip-flip those two tracks is certainly there if the weather looks more favorable one way versus another.  Other Oregon tracks racing on Saturday include Cottage Grove, Southern Oregon, and Sunset.  And in Washington, Skagit is a Saturday night option.

The Sunday options are pretty much limited to Willamette and Grays Harbor.  Silver Dollar Speedway in Chico, CA would be an absolute last resort given its proximity from where I'll be.  And Eagle Track Raceway in the northeast part of Washington is slated to race Sunday at Noon...making it nearly impossible for me to hit if I'm in Oregon Saturday night.

Few options and big decisions.  Such is the life of those who like chasin' racin'. 


No comments:

Post a Comment