Thursday, June 5, 2014

I HAVE A "DREAM"

This story I wrote appeared in the 2012 Dream program but, with the 2014 version of Dirt Late Model racing's highest paying event getting underway this evening, I felt it was a relevant way to kick off the weekend.  Enjoy!

----------

You’ve heard the story before, and you probably know how it ends.  A kid goes to Eldora for the first time.  He falls in love with the track, with the cars, and with racing in general.  He dreams of someday standing on the famed Eldora Speedway stage.  

Yep, we’ve all heard that story before.  Mine isn’t much different.  It just has a slightly different spin.  My first dirt Late Model race at the hallowed half-mile high-banked oval was the 1997 Dream.  The race itself left a lasting impression on everyone, but especially a 17 year-old from southeast Ohio.

I mean, who could forget the ’97 Dream?  Scott Bloomquist and Billy Frye.  Oh yeah, my first Dream was THAT one.  Jimmy Mars, who was just beginning to establish himself in the dirt Late Model ranks, would be the winner that day.  I watched in awe as he stood in victory lane and held high the giant cardboard check for $100,000.



When we left the following day, I swore that I would someday stand on the stage at Eldora Speedway.  That was my dream.

But my dream was different.  You see, I wasn’t a race car driver.  Heck, at age 17, I was doing my best to keep a ’78 Camaro between the yellow lines driving to school and back.  The thought of wheeling a 2300 pound dirt Late Model around ANY track, let alone one as famous as Eldora, scared the bejesus out of me.

Nope, that wasn’t my idea of a dream at all.  As an inspiring announcer calling weekly shows at (the now dormant) R&R Speedway in Zanesville, Ohio, my dream was to someday be the announcer at Eldora Speedway.  THAT was my dream.



Fast forward 15 years and here I am.  Now in my third year as the house announcer at the world’s most famous dirt track, I’m living my dream.  And I get to stand on the stage at Eldora Speedway.  Interviewing the race winner, feeling the excitement of the crowd, watching the fireworks go off… I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

But it’s not all glitz and glory and glamour. There’s hours of homework that needs to be done in preparation for the highest paying dirt Late Model race in the country.  There’s a ton of research that has to be sought out for the 18th Annual Dirt Late Model Dream.  The race’s history, driver info, sponsor updates… it all has to be perfect.  The vendor booths, concession stands, t-shirt trailers… none can be left out.  The daily reminders, the track sponsors, the upcoming events… I have to hit it all.

There’s a lot to do when you’re the Eldora Speedway announcer.  The pressure is as high as the expectation.  So much to do, so much to remember, so much to learn.  No excuses for error, no forgiveness for mistakes, no justification for inaccuracies.



But remember, this is MY dream. I love chatting with the drivers before the races, getting updated as much on their lives outside of racing as much as their world behind the wheel.  I love standing in the staging lane just before the first heat race rolls onto the track.  I love the atmosphere of 20,000 fans cheering for their favorite driver. 

At the end of the night Saturday, one lucky dirt Late Model driver will have his dream fulfilled as he climbs from his car, sweat pouring from his helmet, and raises his fist in victory.  The pyros going off, the fans screaming, the crew members hugging and high-fiving.  No doubt, a dream come true.

And, for the third year in a row, on the other end of that victory lane interview will be someone living out his dream as well.  Perfectly happy am I to be lost in the shuffle of the chaos on that platform.  Why?  Because, for me, being on the stage at Eldora is also a dream come true.



No comments:

Post a Comment